To help family members understand that the Lord values us by what’s on the inside rather than what’s on the outside.
· A beautifully wrapped box with several heavy rocks inside
· A plain wrapped box with treats inside
1. Show your family both boxes. Ask: “Which one of these boxes do you want?
a. Tell your family that the two boxes have something to do with a story in the old testament.
2. Explain that the Old Testament prophet Samuel was sent by the Lord to the home of Jesse. Samuel was told that one of Jesse’s sons was going to be chosen to be the next king. Jesse had many strong and handsome sons whom Samuel thought could be chosen to be the king, but the Lord chose none of them. Read 1 Samuel 16: 1-13 (or chapter 27 of old testament stories) to find out who God chose and why.
a. Ask, “Where does the Lord look when He evaluates a person?”
3. Allow family members to open both gifts.
a. Help them understand that our value is not based on what we look like on the outside but what we are on the inside.
4. Here are several inspiring stories and video clips you may want to share with your
a. Story, The Snob
b. Story, The Award
5. Testify that the Lord does not judge us by our outward appearance, but by what is in our hearts.
One of my favorite parts in the proclamation to the family is the part where it says,”Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny,” I absolutely love that part. We each have divine nature and destiny. We will better understand it as we better understand God and his teachings.